I’m separated, do I have to change my surname?

If you took your husband’s surname, it is relatively straight forward to change back to your maiden name.  In fact, you can start using you maiden name at any time, even whilst you are married.

This is because your change of name to your husband’s name was not registered as a change of name with the Registry of the Births, Deaths and Marriages in your state.  You will need to notify all the relevant institutions of your change of name where you used your married name.  Usually the original copy or a certified copy of your marriage certificate will suffice.

For confidential advice and assistance about your family law situation, please contact Queensland Law Society Accredited Specialist in family law, Tuskeen Jacobs at t.jacobs@rclaw.com.au or 07 3009 8444.

Tuskeen Jacobs


Brisbane 07 3009 8444
Email t.jacobs@rclaw.com.au

Read full profile >