We can provide you with the most up-to-date branding and trademarking services
Our experienced team of intellectual property (IP) and trademark lawyers can provide you with the most up to date branding and trademarking advice and services.
Our tailored legal approach is accentuated by strong relationships with trademarks and patent attorneys in Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne.
Our Trademark and Patent Law group is headed by Gavin McInnes, who holds degrees in both Intellectual Property and Law. Along with our IP team, Gavin is able to assist with a range of trademarking related matters including:
- TM Headstart applications to check the likelihood of getting your trademark registered
- Trademark searches and investigations
- Trademarks applications in national and international jurisdictions
- Assisting and responding to requests from Trademark examiners
- Protecting Trademarks by removing infringements in Google Adwords
- Trademark infringement advice and legal actions to protect the holders of valid marks
- Patent searches
- Advice on confidentiality strategies relating to patents
- Drafting of preliminary applications in Australia and international jurisdictions
- Liaising with specialist patent attorneys to finalise and register patents
- Patent infringement advice and legal actions to protect the holders of patents
What is a trademark?
A trademark is used to distinguish the goods and services of one trader (individual, company or trust) from those of another.
A trademark is a right that is granted for a word, phrase, letter, number, logo, picture, sound, smell, shape or packaging – a registered trademark is legally enforceable and gives you exclusive rights to commercially use, licence or sell it for the goods and services that it is registered under.
Australian trademark law is based on the Trade Marks Act 1995 (Cth). This Act is administered by IP Australia, an Australian government agency within the Department of Industry, Tourism and Resources.
For more information on trademarking check out IP Australia.
What is a patent?
A patent is a right that is granted for any device, substance, method or process that is new, inventive and useful.
A patent is legally enforceable and gives you (the owner) exclusive rights to commercially exploit the invention for the life of the patent. A patent consists of a set of exclusive rights granted by a sovereign state to an inventor or their assignee for a limited period of time, in exchange for the public disclosure of an invention.
For more information about our IP and trademark lawyers or our services don’t hesitate to contact us.